Kavitha Reminisces - Urmila Sathyanarayanan Life Time Achievement Award - April 2017



Kavitha Ramu is a senior Bharatanatyam dancer. she shares the beautiful moments of learning and getting inspired from her dance mates and here we have her thoughts about Urmila Sathyanarayanan as she receives Life Time Achievement Award. A nice occasion to read about her special regard about gracious dancer Urmila. Kavitha learnt Bharatanatyam (Vazhuvoor style) from Sarasalaya founded by Guru KJ Sarasa 

It was a moment of great pride for me to witness Urmila Sathyanarayanan.  Urmi akka received the life time achievement award from Bhavans, Chennai, this morning (16th April 2017).


"I cannot give an account of the number of things, also items that I have learnt from my beautiful seniors kala akka, Nagapriya akka, Urmi akka and Lachu anna. Teacher would either make us sit and watch or ask us to follow them during classes. Urmila akka was a big pillar of support when I started off as a performer."


"I remember, when I won the Spirit of Youth Award instituted by The Music Academy, way back in the mid nineties,she was much happier than me and my entire family! ..


She was the compere during my arangetram and I can recount vividly whatever she told me the moment I came back back-stage after Aanandha narthana ganapathim, the first number.



It was set with a lot of "nritta" passages and I was tired even before I moved into the centre piece,the "varnam".  She said,


" kavi you practiced so hard to make this day happen. Give it all you got."


And this was constantly ringing in my mind during the rest of the evening.... Life becomes more beautiful with people around you...motivating, inspiring, supporting, encouraging, gently pushing,sometimes chiding....or by just being there for you!



Urmila Sahtyaranaryanan & Kavitha - April 2017
Pic Credit - Kavitha Ramu



PriyaLasya(C), Do Not Copy, Copyrights Acknowledged

No comments:

Post a Comment